Covering All Angles
Are you thinking about installing a dashboard camera or dashcam as well as a backup camera? Dashcams not only record what happen in front of you, they can help with parking, record the interior of the car and even include GPS mapping. They could well be a worthwhile addition to your vehicle.
See our post on why you may need a dash cam.
To start this month’s recommendations off, we have been researching the dual systems available at present. Dual systems include both dashcam and backup camera. Here are three combinations that we think are worthy of your attention:
Rexing V1LG Dual Channel Dash Cam and Rear Backup Camera Recorder System
We think this dual camera kit is worth a long look if you are considering the extra security of recording what happens in front as well as behind you when driving. A continuous record is kept of the last 3, 5 or 10 minutes’ motoring and when backing up. So this two camera set provides:
- A Live Image and a Recording of the view from the windscreen;
- Coverage of the Blind Zone behind the vehicle when backing up
- A continuous recording of the Rearview Camera when in use
In the unfortunate event that you require evidence concerning your road use than this aftermarket kit provides it. In addition, the inclusion of a built-in GPS logger can show where you were and the speeds involved in any incident. An Accident Detection G-Sensor will automatically lock and save any video file recording when the camera detects abrupt movement or drastic change of position.
- Rexing’s standard equipment pack has a 16GB Memory Card but you can insert a larger memory card (128GB gives about 12/13 hours of recording).
- The forward camera has a wide angle lens of 170 degrees, whilst the waterproof HD backup camera covers 120 degrees.
- Sufficient cable to connect both cameras and provide power from the cigarette lighter pocket is included in this kit. However if you wish to keep the lighter free and/or hide more of the installation wiring you can purchase a hard wire kit from Rexing for less than $10.
Overall this camera system is more expensive than some good backup camera sets but when you consider the extra safety and security features it provides you might well agree it is a good investment. Click on the link below to find out more:Rexing V1LG Dual Channel Car Dash Cam FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder with HD Rear Camera, Built-in GPS Logger, 16GB Memory Card, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording
Rexing V1P 2.4″ Dual Channel Dashboard Camera Recorder with Rear View Camera
You can buy the same dual camera kit minus the GPS Tracker log here:Rexing V1P 2.4″ LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dual Channel Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with Rear Camera, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording
Eaglecam Dash Cam and Rear View Camera system
If you are in the market for a low cost dual camera kit then Eagle might have just what you are looking for. You get front and rear viewing and recording and a backup camera facility. It is designed for 12 volt power only so a convertor would be necessary for higher voltage supplies. Also, the battery is fairly small and requires constant charging when driving – so you must replace the charger after using the cigarette lighter.
- It is a total front and rear camera system with a G-Sensor lock for keeping recordings in the unfortunate event of an accident or other emergency.
- There is a zoom button for recording details like license numbers should you require this.
- Eagle sell direct via Amazon so you deal only with their own service department which should be an advantage if you have need of their help which they are happy to give.
It does the job, as a number of satisfied customers have testified. You will need to provide a good quality memory card but otherwise the kit is complete.
So for a low use kit in a car or a temporary backup camera on a trailer for instance this Eagle installation sure seems worth the $50 or so that it costs. Click on the link below to find out more:Dash Cam,Dash Camera Car DVR Dashboard 170 Degree Angle Full HD 1080P 30fps , Dual Lens Front+Rear Vehicle Recorder with Night Vision, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording,Parking Mode
If your vehicle already has a Backup Camera and you want the added protection of a Dash Cam, then here are 3 reliable dashcam only kits you can install easily:
Great value dashcam covers an angle of 170 degrees giving an HD resolution image on the 3.0” LCD screen on the camera. Mount the unit on the windscreen and plug into your cigarette lighter and it is ready for use, automatically starting to record once the ignition is on and turning off when the engine stops.
- Continuous loop recording with a selection of 3,5 or 10 minute video clips.
- The emergency lock system (EMS) will lock the recording in the event of a crash or violent stop or turn. To avoid unnecessarily frequent locking you can set the EMS to Low, Mid or High levels.
- The casing of the dash camera is zinc alloy and should withstand high and low temperatures.
- You can add Motion and Vibration detection when your vehicle is parked. The unit switches on for a few seconds if there is movement of a sharp noise near the car. This feature requires hard wiring to supply power.
Whether or not you want the Motion and Vibration feature, this Dashcam is a kit worth considering. Click the link below to find out more:OldShark 3″ 1080P Dash Cam with 32GB Card, 170 Wide Angle Car On Dash Video, G-Sensor, Night Vision, WDR, Parking Guard, Loop Recording Dashboard Camera Recorder
Garmin Dash Cam 35
This forward camera for cars has a range of great features besides being a quality dashcam recorder.
- The forward collision warning will sound if you are driving too close to the vehicle in front. Its incident detection technology will automatically record in the case of a collision.
- This dash cam will record roughly an hour of footage at a time – should you require more for longer journeys then a 64-gigabyte MicroSD card can be purchased separately.
- An alert facility that recognizes nearby red light cameras or speed cameras can be added (provided these are legal where you drive)
- This dash cam can be used for taking still pictures from inside or outside of the car in order to record accident damage.
- The recorder will play back footage right on the display at the time or to review later on your computer.
- The high definition camera records in 1080p resolution at 30 frames per second, giving it an excellent, clear picture from its 180-degree viewing angle. It includes a built-in GPS system and has a 3” wide viewing screen.
This is a well proven dashcam kit with many satisfied customers. Click on the link below to find out more:Garmin Dash Cam 35
The Zero Edge Z-Edge Z3 dashcam has a high-quality video as good as most of the more expensive models. The windscreen mount is neat and firm and you can adjust the camera to suit your driving position. With a 32GB card included as standard this kit provides all you need except GPS.
- This camera has a quality sensor that produces clear precise pictures day and night.
- The viewing angle of 145 degrees avoids any fish eye distortion of the image.
- The dashcam activates automatically when the ignition comes on and off.
- The screen is 3.0” so a good size and larger than many but not obtrusive.
- The G Sensor will safely record any unfortunate collision and the parking motion sensor will switch the camera on if the car is moved or jarred whilst still.
The camera is built for a wide range of temperature conditions and this company’s backup is good, so you can buy with confidence. Click on the link below for more details:Z-Edge Z3 3-Inch 2K Ultra Full HD1296P 2560×1080 Car Dash Cam with 32GB Card & Parking Monitor