What extra features do you get if you spend more money on a dashboard camera? We compare the popular cheaper models with those in the mid-range and high-end or premium price brackets.
The premium dashcams tend to have more features than their budget rivals. They can include GPS tracking, larger screens, driver fatigue and speed camera alerts and even reminders to turn on your headlights. The recording resolution will often be higher than the usual HD or HD+, being Quad HD or 4k. Video quality is usually at 1,920 x 1,080 pixels for the more basic models, whereas the high-end models can record at 3,840 x 2,160 pixels.
However, do you need all of this? Do those extra features add up to a better dashcam for your car? We have a look at the best dashboard cameras in each price bracket.
ORSKEY Dash Cam 1080P Full HD Car DVR Dashboard Camera Video Recorder
- Advanced CMOS sensor enables recording at 30fps.
- Wide Dynamic Range auto-adjusts for light conditions.
- Built-in IR light guarantees excellent night vision.
- Full HD 1080p footage.
- Video output HDMI and USB.
- Power supply 12v adaptor (cigarette lighter).
- Supports up to 32GB SD card, must be purchased separately.
- As with many other dashcams, if the G Sensor level is set to high, the card will fill quickly. The maker suggests the level is set to low and the card formatted monthly.
These are a lot of features for the money. It is worth a look.
TOGUARD 4.3″ Touch Screen Front and Rear Dual Lens Car Camera with Parking Assistance
- You get a backup camera in this kit too.
- This dual camera Mirror dash cam can simultaneously or separately capture the front and rear view of your vehicle. The front camera record road ahead in 1920*1080 and back cam capture behind in 640*480P. The front 170°and rear 140° ensure you get the best footage both front and back.
- This mirror camera can support a micro SD card max up to 32GB (NOT included). A 16GB/32GB Micro SD card Class 10 is recommended. This card will need formatting monthly.
- Please keep this Mirror Cam connecting with power source when operating, as the built-in battery capacity is ONLY 150mAh, it’s just for saving important filed when traffic accident occurred.
- You will need to adjust the sensitivity of G-sensor to Medium or Low if your monitor shows ” card full” even with the loop recording function open.
- If you are ordering for a VAN or Truck, you will need an extension cable. This is easily ordered with the kit.
Toguard is a good brand and this entry level camera is worth considering. However, if your budget allows, we also review the 7″ and 8″ mirror monitor systems in the mid range section.
Mid Range to Premium Range
Toguard 7 and 8” mirror monitor dual systems
We like the Toguard camera systems. The 4.3” features in our budget range, but if you can afford a bit more, these 2 are worth considering, not least because of the sizes of the monitor screens. And, like the 4.3″, a backup camera is included too. Both these systems can be heavily discounted, bringing them down to a mid-range price. We think this makes them even more appealing, so check the prices before making your buying choice.
Apeman Dash Cam 1080P FHD DVR Car Driving Recorder
- 1080p FHD
- 3″ screen
- 170 degree angle of view
- WDR and HDR technology
- G sensor
- Continuous recording – will overwrite on SD card
- Parking monitoring for up to 24 hours
- Relatively easy to set up
This seems to be a small and easy to use camera. The video quality is probably best in daytime. The makers suggest setting the G sensor to ‘low’ to enable enough room to record and also recommend it is plugged in continuously as the battery will only record for 20 minutes.
Roav Dashcam A1 by Anker
- Your money pays for a quality dashboard camera. There is no backup camera in this kit.
- Has a wide angle F1.8 aperture lens to view 4 lanes of traffic, 1080p full HD video and its NightHawk Vision technology captures license plates at night.
- The built-in Wi-Fi and the dedicated Roav DashCam app lets you view, download, configure, and share your drive with your phone.
- Has a G-sensor to detect sudden jolts and instantly start recording.
- Roav has a 12 month warranty.
In this price bracket, the number of features increases. We like the 12 month warranty.
Roav C1 Pro by Anker
- Film every part of your journey in super HD 2K resolution.
- Record more than just the car ahead of you. Comprised of 6 lens elements, thiswide-angle lens captures 4 lanes of traffic to give you footage of the whole road.
- DashCam’s built-in GPS automatically tracks and indexes the speed, route, and other information for every trip. Instantly review any section of your journey with a touch via the Roav DashCam app.
- When your car is parked, DashCam’s shock sensor detects sudden movements, such as a car bumping into your car, and automatically turns on to record activity.
- There is a full 12-month warranty.
This is a top of the range system but it is still reasonably priced.
Top of the Range or Premium Dashcam
This price bracket usually has an obvious extra – that of a rearview camera as well. If you are concerned with recording what happens in front of you, then you might be prepared to pay a bit extra to get a recording of what happens behind you as well. It’s certainly cheaper and easier than buying 2 different camera kits.
Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam Infrared Night Vision Dual 1920x1080P Front and Cabin Dash Camera (2.5K 2560x1440P Single Front) 1.5″ 310° Car Camera w/Sony Sensor, Parking Mode, Support 256GB max
- Dual 1080P Front and Rear Dash Cam
- 170° front facing OV4689 sensor camera and 140° rear facing sony sensor camera(80° rotatable) in one body, N2 pro shots both front and inside the cabin simutaneously in full hd 1920 x 1080P 30fps, perfect dash cam for taxis, Uber, rideshare, commuters, and families
- Taxi Dash Cam with Voice Recording, but can be turned off. Be sure you understand the legal pitfalls of recording inside a vehicle. See our post here.
- Single Front 2.5K 2560x1440P/30fps or 1920 x 1080P/60fps
- If you don’t need the inside recordings you can record with the single front facing camera
- Sony Sensor Infrared Night Vision
- 24 Hours Motion Detection Parking Mode Hardwire Dash Camera
- Auto switch to Parking mode. Triggered by the motion detection, the dash cam will auto record once the front camera or inside camera detects motion. The camera needs a constant power supply either from an external battery pack or hardwire. Kit is available for the latter.
- Dash Cam is temperature resistant
- Optional GPS
- Auto Starts up and records automatically
- Time lapse function
- Date and Time stamp
- You do still have to supply your own sd card – see the listing for full details.